Monday, July 13, 2009

Dinner Tonight: Spaghetti Pie

I was entranced by a meal that I had at Brian's sister-in-law's house one night a year or two ago and that meal was the deliciously carb-ful Spaghetti Pie. It was a flaky brown drum sized crust surrounding steaming spaghetti and meat sauce. Since then, I have been looking online for something similar but have only come across spaghetti al forno (baked spaghetti), spaghetti casseroles, and worst of all, some kind of pie with cheese and marinara filling and a spaghetti crust! Hmm...

Luckily, after I pulled a few google tricks out of my sleeves, I found a recipe on vegweb for a crusty, spaghetti-filled "pie". The recipe, which can be found here, was not so much a recipe as a set of guidelines which when distilled reads:

1. Make/Buy a crust
2. Put half the crust in a casserole dish
3. Fill the dish with cooked pasta, sauce, seasonings, and veggies/meat
4. Cover with more crust
5. Bake at 350 degrees until golden brown (30-45 min)

There werent even amounts for most of the ingredients! The exception was the crust. This came in handy because my local grocery store was out of the pre-made kind. I made the crust in about 3 minutes using the recipe listed:

7/8 c. oil
1/2 c. ice water
3 c. self-rising pastry flour
(I never buy the stuff- For each 1 c. all-purpose flour, add 1 1/2 tsp baking powder & 1/2 tsp salt.)

I filled it with spaghetti and meat sauce and it's currently baking. I hope it's as good as my first one!

No comments: